A Message About Us from John Phillis, Evangelist
Northeast church of Christ,
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Greetings in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, and welcome to our Web site. We are grateful that you have found us, and our prayer is that you will find something here which will make a difference for the better in your spiritual life. You may, though, be wondering just who we are and why we have this Web site. Let me tell you something about us.
We are the Northeast church of Christ, located in Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA. We began as a group of Christians who simply wanted to be "just Christians," worshiping after the New Testament pattern and commands of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, without the influences of "contemporary change." We strive to be godly--children of God who always do, say and teach those things which are pleasing to our Father in heaven. Our only source for authority and doctrine is God's Word--the Bible. We have no man-made manual, catechism or creed. We believe and practice what Paul said to Timothy in 2 Timothy 3:16-17: "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."
Our first worship service was held March 2, 1997, in a local high school lecture hall. As we grew in number from week to week, we soon had to find a larger, more suitable meeting area. We moved around to several area hotels until we finally settled into the Sheraton Albuquerque Uptown Hotel where we met from October of 1997 until July of 2001. On July 29, 2001, we met for the first time in our permanent building. Click here for our meeting times and location.
Our evangelistic efforts include the following:
- Sponsorship of the In Search of the Lord's Way television program with Brother Mack Lyon of Edmond, Oklahoma. These programs appear in the Albuquerque area on Sunday at 8:00 A.M. on KWBQ TV 19 (cable 6), and on Monday at 7 P.M. and Wednesday at 10 P.M. on KAZQ TV 32 (cable 22). The Monday and Wednesday programs are fully sponsored by the Northeast church of Christ. We also help sponsor the Sunday broadcast. Please search for this program in your area.
- This Web site. We seek to share sound doctrinal teaching, offering excellent Sermons and The Gift of Eternal Life Berean Bible Study Course, answering students' and interested readers' Bible questions via e-mail. We also offer a Two-Year Weekly Bible Reading Guide to our site visitors, as well as Books and Articles. Please bookmark us, come back to visit us often and pass along our Web site address to others who may be interested in what we have to offer.
- Individual Bible studies. Several individual members of the Northeast church of Christ conduct one-on-one Bible studies either through home Bible studies, Internet and/or E-mail Bible studies.
- An audio tape ministry. The Sunday morning Adult Bible Class and the Sunday morning and Sunday evening sermons are recorded by a crew of members. These tapes are then copied and labeled by Normand Belt. Some members of our congregation request tapes for their own use or to give to a family member or friend. Other copies of these tapes are made for our shut-ins and for those in hospitals, etc. In addition, we mail tapes regularly to individuals in many other states. We also make up special sets of tapes by request, such as tapes from lectureships, Gospel Meetings, etc. These tapes are also the source used for transcribing the sermons and lessons that appear on this Web site on the Sermons Page.
- Navajo Nation Mission Work. We help support Josh and Divine Austin in their evangelistic efforts in Kayenta, Arizona.
- Bear Valley Bible Institute. We support Lin Aker, a member of our local congregation, as he trains to become a preacher.
If you are in our area, we invite you to visit us and participate with us in offering spiritual and truthful worship to God our Father and to His Son, Jesus Christ. If you are far away from us in distance, may this Web site bring you close to us in our study of, love for and obedience to God's Word, which is Christ. ("In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the One and Only, Who came from the Father, full of grace and Truth," John 1:1 and 14). We would be happy to study with you and/or answer any questions you may have concerning the Word of God.
As previously mentioned, this Web site is one of our evangelistic efforts to share the sound doctrine of the Gospel of Christ with those who are seeking Truth. Again, we invite you to bookmark our Web site and come often to visit with us. Spread the word about us and encourage others to visit our site. New material will be added to this site as often as possible. Below this greeting is more information about the church of Christ--who we are, what we believe and why we have committed our whole lives to the Lord. We hope you will take time to read it, and that you will search and study the Scriptures presented to you, as did the Christians in the first century church of Christ in Berea. Paul praises these Christians for their devotion to searching the Scriptures: "As soon as it was night, the brothers sent Paul and Silas away to Berea. On arriving there, they went to the Jewish synagogue. Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the Message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true," (Acts 17:10-11). We pray that you will be influenced by what you read on our site, and that you, too, may be led to become a true child of God--a member of the body of Christ.
It is our fervent prayer that ALL people come to a knowledge of the Truth, accept and obey that Truth, and continue increasing in the knowledge of the Truth by diligent and frequent study of God's Word so that they may live fruitful Christian lives to the glory of God the Father and may in turn lead others to Christ. As James 1:22-25 says, "Do not merely listen to the Word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the Word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it--he will be blessed in what he does." God bless you as you seek Him, find Him, obey Him and live in Him.
John Phillis, Evangelist
Northeast church of Christ